Being a single mom means I have a lot on my plate. Each year when my daughter’s birthday rolls around, I hardly ever feel fully prepared. But I know I have to throw her the best birthday party possible to show her how much she means to me. She loves Super Mario and tells me everyday that she wants to marry him when she grows up. Her admiration for him is so funny and precious. So, for her fifth birthday this year, I decided to make a Mario Kart cake for her party. Making the cake was a little more challenging than I thought it would be, but it was a lot of fun. If you want to make a themed cake for your child this year, here are some tips to help you out:
1. Get your child involved. They’ll have a lot of fun helping you and can actually make the task easier. Just make sure you and your child don’t eat too much of the cake batter. My daughter and I both had stomachaches because we had a little too much of the batter.
2. Pick a cake recipe that you know your child will like to eat. For instance, my daughter loves red velvet cake, so that’s the type of cake we made. Some homemade cakes will take a little longer to make, but they’re worth the effort if you create something your child will love.
3. Spend some extra time on your cake base. The overall appearance of the cake depends on the base. My daughter and I made a two-layer round cake. If you plan on doing the same, I highly recommend that you use a cake leveler. It makes it a lot easier to make sure the tops of the cake are evenly cut. Whatever you do, just try not to end up with a lumpy cake!
4. It’s a good idea to do some research before you start working on the actual icing design of the cake. I went to a local bakery and looked at some cartoon themed cakes they had there, and I asked the person who worked there if he had any tips on making a themed cake. He said that I should have a clear mental picture of what the cake would look like in my head before I started designing. I took his advice, and I looked up pictures of Mario Kart cakes online. I found a design I really liked and printed it out so I could use it as a guide.
5. Cover the cake with a plain icing layer, and then use different tubed icings to draw the character/scene on top of the cake. It’s very important to use icing that comes in a tube. That way you can just easily squeeze the design on top of the cake.
6. Have fun with your child, and enjoy the cake!
Author’s Bio: Melissa is a busy mom who loves to write and spend time with her daughter in her spare time.